Why You Shouldn’t Enter Your Home Immediately After a Fire

After a fire, it can be tempting to rush inside and collect what can still be salvaged, as well as gauge the extent of the damage that you’re dealing with. Homeowners feel passionately about where they have built their lives, and we don’t blame them for wanting to recover what personal possessions remain or better understand the scope of the damage that the fire has caused. But we are here to tell you that this is not always, or even sometimes, the safest action to take immediately after the flames have been extinguished. There are many reasons to avoid running inside immediately, no matter how badly you want to.

Your home should be declared as safe by local inspection authorities before you return to the interior for any reason. If you don’t wait for the go-ahead from a licensed professional, you might find yourself dealing with a slew of dangers that still linger after the fire’s gone out.

Airborne Irritants
Smoke and soot are common culprits of irritation after a fire, but did you know that mold and its spores can also wreak havoc on your health after a house fire? All of these unwanted elements can be inhaled into your lungs, especially if you go onto the scene without proper masks and respiratory filters. For this reason, expecting mothers and children, the elderly and those with chronic lung conditions are advised to stay away from a house that’s been ravaged by fire for at least the first 48 hours.

Water Damage
Dousing a fire requires a lot of water on the part of firefighters, and while that water has prevented the entire home from being swallowed by flames, it produces its own set of risks and worries. Not only does this help any existing or new mold issues to flourish, but it can create a host of other safety concerns that are best left alone unless under the guidance of a professional. Slippery floors and electrical shocks caused by wiring that’s been exposed to water are two common and potentially devastating risks that you might encounter.

A fire can wreak all kinds of havoc on your home, leaving an astounding amount of debris and unsafe materials lying around in its wake. Broken glass, exposed beams and damaged electrical wiring are just a few of the hazardous materials that you could come into contact with upon entering your home after a fire.

While ash might seem fairly harmless, especially when compared to the actual damaging effects of a raging fire, it is anything but. When ash is kicked up it can release asbestos, mold or even lead and arsenic into the air.

As you can see, there are quite a few very good reasons to avoid going into your home immediately after a fire has been put out. Just because there are no more flames does not mean that the space is safe to enter. Before you walk into retrieve any of your belongings, you should consult with a fire restoration company like LaPointe Construction Boardup Service to ensure your personal safety and the safety of your family. Call us today at 978-447-5991.