When you have a fire, you need expert help. Call on the experienced team at LaPointe Construction Boardup Service. They have the skills and equipment to handle fire damage restoration safely and properly.
One of the first steps is to secure the property. This does more than just protect your belongings from thieves, vandals, and animal intruders. It also prevents curious neighbors and stray pets from being harmed. There are several measure that we might take to secure your property.
- Board Up – Broken windows and doors, damaged walls, and other large exterior areas are usually boarded up. This protects from intruders as well as weather conditions.
- Temporary Fencing – Temporary or portable fencing keeps people and animals away from buildings with large amounts of structural damage.
- Tarping – Roof tarps and plastic sheeting are used to cover damaged roofs and other open areas to protect from weather effects.
One the property is secured, the next steps depend on the extent of the fire damage. If water was used to extinguish the fire, it is critical to dry everything out quickly. If water is not dried as soon as possible you will find yourself dealing with water damage in addition to the effects of the fire. Too much delay can even lead to mold and mildew. To remove the water, LaPointe’s crew might use pumps, air circulators, fans, or other methods.
A second consideration is materials damaged by the flames. Wooden supports, drywall, and other flammable materials are often completely destroyed. Even if they remain they might be severely damaged. Supports and weight bearing walls have to be examined closely for hidden signs of damage.
Fire damage restoration teams determine what can be repaired and what needs to be replaced. There are several factors that have to be considered when making this determination.
- Cost to repair vs cost to replace
- Extent of damage
- Sentimental value
- Difficulty finding a replacement
- Other factors
The third type of damage seen after a fire results from soot. There are different types of soot, and each has to be handled differently. Improper cleaning of soot can leave an unpleaseant odor long after everything looks clean.
- Dry soot can usually be simply wiped away with a dry cloth.
- Wet soot can leave staining and needs to be washed away promptly and carefully.
- Oily soot can leave a nasty residue and be hard to clean. It often needs special cleaning solutions.
- After all of the obvious issues are taken care of, there is often still a residual smell. This results from smoke damage. If can be difficult to remove all of the lingering odors from a home or business after a fire. Your LaPointe technicians will use different methods to take care of this problem, including commercial air circulators, filter replacement, and air duct cleaning.
Fire damage can be complicated, and the restoration process isn’t always simple. There is a lot that goes into it, and many property owners find themselves overwhelmed. With LaPointe Construction Boardup Service at your side, you don’t have to face it alone. You can have expert guidance from the first step to the last.