Tips to Avoid an Electrical Fire

At one time or another we’ve all felt our way through the dark to find the fuse or circuit box.  Older homes may have a fuse that needs to be replaced while newer homes have a circuit breaker switch that has flipped off.  In the case of a circuit breaker, it’s easy to run your finger down the switches to find the one that needs to be turned back on.

What most homeowners ignore, however, is what caused the breaker to fail in the first place?  There can be a variety of reasons:  A small surge in the area or too many high-powered appliances in use at the same time.  It could be that your electrical capacity is not high enough to support the electricity flowing to the items plugged in around your home.  No matter what the reason, it is important to pay close attention to that circuit and if possible, determine why it cut off. 

The job of a circuit box is to cut the power to an area in your home when too much electricity flows through the connecting wires.  If the amount of amps flowing through the wires exceeds the allotted value for that wire, the wire can overheat.  When the wire overheats a fire can occur within your walls.

If you find that the same breaker is constantly tripping, you need to evaluate the cause and take steps to decrease the amps flowing through those wires.  Other items to watch out for include the smell of burning plastic, scorch marks around a plug, or damaged cords.

At LaPointe Construction Board up Services, we’ve seen many fires that were caused by an overloaded socket or outlet.  To help prevent a fire occurring in your home, follow these tips:

  • Pay attention to the labels on extension cords and outlet plugs. Each is labeled with a ‘maximum current rating.’  Do not exceed the capacity listed.
  • Never plug one extension cord into another.
  • Use a power strip with a surge protector instead of a multi-plug wall adaptor.
  • Watch for appliances or electrical items that stop functioning properly.

If you find you have too many extension cords or have cause for concern, bring in an electrician to install more outlets in your home. 

The bottom line is: don’t overload your home’s outlets.  Determine what caused the circuit to flip and take steps to protect your family and home from a fire.  In the case that you do experience a fire, give our team a call.  Sometimes an overheated socket goes unnoticed.  With so many extra tablets and phones in use these days, we know how easy it is to overload an outlet with all of our chargers and appliances.  Our Fire Damage Restoration team will repair the damage caused by the fire.  We work to return your home to the way it was before the fire.

Give our team a call at 978-447-5991 to learn more about our Fire Damage Restoration service.  You can visit our Facebook page at for more information.