Signs of spring are starting to pop up all around us: birds singing as they return north, the sun rising earlier and earlier in the morning, the fresh scent of growing plants when you open the window. However, the change of season is never completely peaceful. Every year, major storms hit our area, bringing with them torrential downpours, hail, and wind that cause damage for homeowners. Storms can significantly damage roofs, siding, and structures, necessitating repairs and sometimes even full replacements.
While you can’t prevent storms from occurring, by taking some preventative measures to protect your home against the elements, you reduce the risk of incurring damage from intense storms. If spring storms do cause problems with your roof or siding this year, don’t hesitate to contact LaPointe Construction Board-Up Service to assist you in restoring your home and stopping further damage. We offer a wide range of services, including window and door board-up services, roof repair, shingle repair, and more.
Tips to Prevent Spring Storm Damage:
- If you have trees with branches that are close to your home, they could be presenting a hazard to your roof and windows. Heavy winds during a storm can cause these to fall, and some branches are heavy enough to cause significant, costly damage. Make sure to have any overhanging branches trimmed, either by yourself or by a professional company.
- Make sure that your gutters are clear and that the water and melting snow is draining out and down through the system and away from the foundation of your house. Inspect for broken, bent, or cracked areas and have them fixed promptly.
- Keep an eye out for problems with your roof, especially during and after heavy rainfall. If you notice any water spots or bulges on your ceiling, or any roof shingles missing, call us to have an inspection. It’s important to fix roof leaks early to prevent the damage from spreading and causing the need for even costlier repairs. This is an especially important if you had a lot of snow on your roof. Problems with your roof can not only impact your attic or ceiling space, but the water that comes in can get into your walls and even in the foundation of your home, causing major damage that may otherwise go unnoticed without direct inspection.
- Inspect your doors and windows for any leaks around the frames. Check the caulking around windows and replace any that has worn away or is missing. If you have single-pane windows, consider replacing them with energy-efficient double-pane windows, which also have the benefit of lowering your monthly energy bills.
- Inspect your siding fully and repair or replace any areas with damage or that are pulled away from the house. Vinyl siding in particular, while very durable in general, can sometimes incur cracks if it was improperly installed.
Late winter and early spring can wreak havoc on the exterior of your home. While some years are milder than others, this wear and tear can accumulate over time. Your roof and shingles can only hold up to the task of keeping out the elements for so long before repair or replacement will be necessary to protect the integrity of your home’s structure and foundation from hazards such as water damage.
Our family-owned company has been around for over 40 years, assisting homeowners with repairs to their houses in the aftermath of storms, fires, and other damaging incidents. We offer 24-hour emergency board-up services in the aftermath of storms and other disasters, as well as a host of other services, such as water damage restoration. Give us a call at 978-447-5991 to find out how we can help return your home’s exterior to its former glory.