The cool nights of early summer are the ideal evenings to call up a few friends, grab some drinks and sit around the glow of a warm, inviting fire pit. The kids are out of school and the weekends call for relaxation and fun.
But, fun can turn into a disaster if you don’t respect the rules of fire safety. Some cities have specific laws regarding the use of open flames and fire pits. In some cases, an open flame may be prohibited, and in others, you may only be allowed to use them in relation to food. It is best to first learn about your city’s outdoor fire code before striking the match.
If you are allowed to converge around a fire pit, keep these safety tips in mind so you and your friends can have an enjoyable night filled with laughter and memories.
- Set up your fire pit away from buildings, bushes and trees.
- Place the fire pit on bricks or rocks, making sure it is sturdy and won’t topple over. Avoid setting it directly on the grass which could catch fire if too dry.
- Wet the ground around and under your fire pit with your hose or with a bucket of water.
- Keep an eye on the weather. If strong winds are in the area or expected that evening, wait for a calm night.
- Set up for safety first. Before you ignite the fire, get prepared with a bucket of sand to smother the fire, a fire extinguisher, and make sure your hose is hooked up and nearby.
- Only burn wood in your fire pit.
- Maintain a 3 foot clearance from the flames when setting up tables or chairs.
- Ensure children and pets are kept a safe distance from the fire. Be mindful of loose clothing that could brush the flames and ignite.
- Do not leave the fire unattended.
- Use sand and water to extinguish the fire at the end of the night. The embers, ashes, and flames should be completely cool before you can call it a night.
When you practice fire safety, you’ll be able to enjoy the evening without the risk of potential danger. If, however, the inevitable happens, know that you can call LaPointe Construction Board-Up Solutions. We understand how quickly a fire can get out of control and the damage that it can cause to your home and property. Fire spreads rapidly and destroys anything in its path. Stay safe during summer evenings with our words of advice.
If you do experience a fire, call about our Fire Damage Restoration Services. We can restore your property and clean up the soot, water, and smoke damage that comes as a result of a fire. Give us a call at 978-447-5991 or learn more about our Fire Damage Reconstruction and Fire Damage Restoration solutions on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LaPointeConstruction.