After any type of fire, you’re likely to be overwhelmed with the cleanup process. The good news is that there are companies that specialize in the restoration process who work with your insurance company to get your home back in order. A fire leaves behind water-damaged walls, furniture, and carpet. Strong odors accompany the disaster along with soot that ruins anything it touches.
Even the smallest kitchen fire will leave a trail of destruction; though you may not see the effects right away. If you’ve experienced a small fire, it is necessary to clean up the water, soot, and smoke damage as quickly as possible. For small projects, here are the most important steps you need to take in order to protect your home and property.
- If possible, turn off your HVAC system so it doesn’t circulate the soot and smoke through the rest of your home.
- Run fans and dehumidifiers until everything is dry. Moisture that lurks behind can cause mold to grow.
- Vacuum everything. Soot can cause appliances and walls to yellow and it creates a slow chemical reaction to anything it touches.
- After you vacuum, wipe down walls, floors and ceilings with a mixture of Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) and water. You’ll need to wear protective gloves, a mask, and safety goggles for this step. Follow the directions on the TSP bottle when mixing and work in small areas. Generally, you’ll dampen the area with the solution and then wipe it down with clean water.
- Clean appliances and other metallic surfaces with a white vinegar and water solution. Again, clean with the mixture and rinse with warm water. Use a clean towel to dry as you go.
- Repeat steps as needed until the soot is gone from the home. This will help eliminate most of the odor as well.
- For smoke damage and smell that accompanies a fire, there are air purifier’s that will help clear the air.
- For carpeted areas, sprinkle baking soda on carpets, rake in with a carpet brush if you have one, let sit for a few hours and then vacuum it up.
If the fire was larger or caused structural damage or damage to your belongings, then give us a call at LaPointe Construction Board Up Service. We are the area’s trusted service provider to restore and reconstruct your home after a fire or water emergency. Our Fire Damage Reconstruction team will repair your home, and reconstruct the damaged area. Your home will be restored to the condition it was before the disaster occurred.
When you have a fire emergency call us at 978-447-5991. Our Fire Damage Reconstruction Service will prevent additional damage to your home and reconstruct your space. Learn more about our services on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LaPointeConstruction.