One of the biggest problems with water damage is that there can be hidden signs of problems that are easily overlooked. Moisture can be trapped in hidden places such as inside drywall, carpet, wood, and other materials. If it isn’t detected and treated early, it can lead to serious and expensive damage. That’s why it’s important to call on experienced water damage restoration experts like LaPointe Construction Board Up Service.
Often homeowners attempt to clean up water damage on their own. They clean up the obvious damage, drying up the water that they can see using towels and fans. If there is a lot of water they might rent a dehumidifier from a local hardware store. There are several reasons that this is not a good idea.
The most important consideration in any situation should be safety. When there is water in your home, it can pose several dangers.
- Contaminated water can carry dangerous pathogens, so if you don’t know where the water is coming from it’s important to avoid coming into contact with it.
- Another serious danger is electrocution. Moisture within the walls can reach electrical wiring and outlets. You should not enter any room with standing water or turn on any appliances until an expert has declared it to be safe.
- Leftover moisture can lead to mold. While many molds are not dangerous, they can all cause unpleasant symptoms in people with allergies, asthma, and other vulnerabilities. A few types of mold, however, can be very dangerous. They can cause a wide range of symptoms and be very dangerous.
Locating the Source
Many homeowners discover water in their basement or under a sink and then they clean it up. However, if you don’t discover the source of the water and take care of that problem, then you are likely to face more water soon enough. It’s also important to determine where the water is coming from to make sure that it is clean. There are three types of water:
- Clean water comes from faucets, rain, and other clean sources.
- Gray water comes from sources like kitchen or bathtub drains. It isn’t clean but poses little danger to people.
- Black water comes from problems like major floods, untreated sewage, and overflowed toilets. It carries dangerous pathogens and needs to be handled carefully.
Subtle Signs of Damage
Another reason that it’s a good idea to call in professionals is that many subtle signs of water damage might be missed. If moisture is left behind, there can be problems later on. You might experience weakened walls and ceilings, unpleasant odors, and mold problems due to leftover moisture. Experienced water damage restoration experts can catch these signs and prevent future complications.
For over 50 years, LaPointe Construction Board Up Service has been helping home and business owners in the greater Massachusetts area with their water damage restoration problems. We also handle fire damage, temporary shoring, securing damaged property, and a wide range of other issues. If you experience water damage, a fire, or any other problem, give us a call at 978-447-5991 and let us take care of you!