When you drive through a new neighborhood, one of the first things you’ll notice is the lack of trees providing shade and scenery to the area. For those of us who live in older, more established neighborhoods, our tall, magnificent shade trees are relished. However, in order to keep these towering beauties in your yard you need to care for them.
A tree typically requires a regular pruning once a year. On smaller trees, it can be an easy task. However, larger shade trees may require professional help, and therefore incur a cost. The upkeep of your larger trees ensures that their life is extended and keeps them healthy. Additionally, trimming tree limbs will minimize damage to people as well as your property.
The best time to trim your trees is in their dormant season. Arborists state the reason for this as follows:
- The dormant seasons of fall and winter minimize the amount of sap lost, protecting your tree.
- Fungi are typically dormant this time of year, therefore reducing the risk of fungi attacking the pruned areas.
- There is a lower risk of insect infestation to the pruned areas.
- You’ll have a better idea of the shape of the tree when the leaves have dropped off of deciduous trees.
The reasons pruning your trees are necessary are especially important when dead or diseased limbs are a factor. Tree limbs which are infected, or those that are dead, should be removed immediately no matter when the season. If left untreated, the entire tree will succumb to the rot.
Here are some other things to consider:
- An overgrown tree can obstruct the visibility for drivers and pedestrians, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Large limbs can fall on power lines or your roof in a storm creating hazardous conditions.
- Pruning keeps trees healthy and helps direct water to the supporting branches.
While we won’t claim to be arborists, we do know what can happen when tree limbs fall. When a storm passes through with high winds, branches that hang over your property can fall causing damage to the roof, or smash through windows. If this happens, call LaPointe Construction Board Up Service. We are experts at protecting your home from the elements.
If a recent storm has given you an unexpected skylight, give us a call. Our Board Up Service will secure your property until repairs can be made. We have the tools and experience to properly cover your roof, windows, or walls from storm damage. You can reach us at 978-447-5991 or visit our Facebook page to learn more about our Board Up Service at https://www.facebook.com/LaPointeConstruction.